Cyclist suffers horrific burns after iPhone explodes in his pocket

A British mountain biker has revealed his horror injuries after his iPhone exploded and left him needing skin grafts.

Gareth Clear, 36, was riding around Manly Dam in Australia on Sunday when he fell from his bike, landing on his iPhone 6. Seconds later he noticed smoke and a searing heat, before hearing an explosion as the phone he’d had for just six months ignited, melting through his shorts and two layers of skin on his upper right thigh.


The burn was so severe he had to undergo skin graft surgery at the burns unit of the Royal North Shore Hospital. Clear, who is originally from Winchester in Hampshire but has lived in Australia for the last six years, said: “It’s a bit random, the thing to be very specific about, the phone did hit the ground, it didn’t just spontaneously combust. It was a one in one million chance I hit a part of the phone which pierced the lithium battery and it exploded.”


He added: “I’m 36, I’ve had a mobile phone for 18 years of my life and for that thing to explode or short circuit and cause it to temporarily ignite. I could see the metal bending and all the lithium leaking out of the bottom end.”

While the base of the phone looks like “something from a chemical explosion,” he said, the top remains perfectly in tact. Clear will be house bound for the rest of the week and remain hooked up to a machine to prevent infection, but expects it will take weeks to recover.

Recent Tweets