Phil Bauhaus (Bora-Argon 18) took the biggest win of his short career by beating the big-name sprinters on the final stage of the Tour of Denmark. Coming off the Dutchman’s wheel, he beat Moreno Hofland (LottoNL-Jumbo) and Daniele Bennati (Tinkoff) in a photo finish while Michael Valgren (Tinkoff) finished safely to top an all Danish overall podium that also included Magnus Cort (Denmark) and Mads Würtz Schmidt (Virtu Pro).
After yesterday’s time trial, the sprinters were expected to shine in the final stage which brought the riders over 183km from Karrebæksminde to Frederiksberg in the centre of Copenhagen. There eas an early climb but otherwise the terrain was flat and it all ended with 10 laps of a 6.7km circuit in the capital. There was a very small climb that is used for the KOM competition on three occasions but it was not expected to trouble the fast finishers.
Hofland launched the sprint from the perfect position but Bauhaus had done a great job to pick the Dutchman’s wheel. The German, Hofland and Bennati battled it out in a close photo finish and it was the Bora-Argon 18 talent who came out on top.
Valgren finished safely in and so took the overall win with a 10-second advantage over Cort. Mads Würtz Schmidt (Virtu Pro) completed the podium. Bennati could console himself with the win in the points competition and De Gendt won the mountains jersey. Würtz Schmidt was the best young rider and Tinkoff was the best team.
Tour of Denmark 2016 – stage 5 results (Karrebæksminde – Frederiksberg):
Phil Bauhaus (Bora-Argon) 18 3:34:24
2. Moreno Hofland (LottoNl-Jumbo) ,,
3. Daniele Bennati (Tinkoff) ,,
4. Roy Jans (Wanty – Groupe Gobert) ,,
5. Michael Valgren (Tinkoff) ,,
6. Danilo Napolitano (Wanty – Groupe Gobert) ,,
7. Michael Carbel Svengaard (Stolting) ,,
8. Ruslan Tleubayev (Astana) ,,
9. Sebastian Lander (ONE) ,,
10. Amaury Capiot (Topsport Vlaanderen – Baloise) ,,
Final general classification:
2. Magnus Cort Nielsen (Postnord Danmark) +10″
3. Mads Würtz Schmidt (Virtu Pro – Veloconcept) +57″
4. Michael Gogl (Tinkoff) +01’21”
5. Christoph Pfingsten (Bora-Argon 18) +01’32”
6. Gijs Van Hoecke (Topsport Vlaanderen – Baloise) +01’33”
7. Alexander Kamp (Stölting) +01’41”
8. Laurens De Vreese (Astana) +01’42”
9. Marco Marcato (Wanty – Groupe Gobert) +01’44”
10. Manuele Boaro (Tinkoff) +02’00”
FEATURED · RACES AND RESULTS
daniele bennati michael valgren moreno hofland Phil Bauhaus Tinkoff Tour of Denmark